Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

We Take Cuteness Seriously...



When we do the cuteness thing, we mean business. I mean, just look at those little eyes. You can almost hear her thoughts: "Go ahead, resist me if you can. I dare you to try." So, tell me, is this the face of a little girl who will know just what to say and do to tug at your heartstrings? You don't need to tell me. I already know the answer.

I could ramble on about how sweet she is, but really this post is just to serve as a distraction from the fact that I still can't show you the sweater I'm knitting for her. The only good news I can give on that is that it'll be done really soon. I've only got the shoulder buttons and a little edge finishing to do on one shoulder. She'll most likely be able to actually wear it tomorrow. I would have liked to wash and block it first, but she spit up on the one she's been wearing, which throws this one into the rotation a few days early.

I don't have much to say, aside from that. We've been passing a cold around the family, and it's my turn. My son has even thrown in some pink eye for fun. I was hoping he'd keep it to himself, but I've seen signs of it in the girls today. Oh well. What can you do?

Sorry to get a little serious on you here, but a couple of things are on my mind lately:

Two movies have disturbed me...

I'm sure everyone has long ago seen The Butterfly Effect. I just watched it the other night. It freaked me out. And, not at all because of the science fiction aspect of it. It was the child abuse and sadistic nature of several of the characters. I'm almost 100% certain that had I watched this movie before having children, several of the scenes would not have stayed with me and affected me the way the did. Funny how having kids changes the way you view the world.

The second film is one I've not even seen and am probably not likely to see. It's the one causing some amount of stir in the US cinema industry these days: Death of a President or something like that. It was made in England. I won't even talk about the politic aspect of a movie depicting the assassination of the current US president. You either like him or you don't, and like all powerful leaders, there are surely people who'd want him dead. What freaks me out about this movie, though, is the realistic (from what I've heard - digitally superimposing real images over those done by actors) depiction of the killing of a real person who is currently alive. There is something really creepy about that. Say what you will about the man's politics. Even call him evil if you want, but the guy's got kids and a wife. I can't help but wonder how they'd feel sitting in a movie theater watching such a scene. Creeps me out just to think about it. We may live in a warring world, but I guess I'm a pacifist at heart. Maybe it's having had children that makes me see this movie in this light, as well. Again, funny how having kids changes the way you view the world.