Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Monday, July 04, 2005

And, They're Off!


Sock Pal Sock
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
After much contemplation and some necessary practice, I've cast on for a pair of socks for my sock pal. I don't want to give too much detail for fear that she/he may pass by this way and guess this sock is for her/him. I can tell you what I'm making this from, and how, though...

The red yarn is Cascade Fixation. It's knitting up nicely with some black Phildar Fallaise (may be wrong spelling), even if they aren't the exact same composition. The pattern I've chosen is my tweaking of Epstein's 2-color basket rib (from Knitting On The Edge) to knit it in the round (her instructions are for knitting it flat). So far, I've pretty much decided that the cuff will be knit this way, and the rest of the sock will be done in the red only. I've kind of toyed with the idea of making the toe and maybe the heel black, but I'm still not sure. Besides, I've got two balls of red and one of black, so we have to plan accordingly.

Oh, oh, and these are being knit on my very own, hand-made wooden dpns. They were a bit bad about catching the yarn, until my husband intellegently suggested waxing them up with cheese wax, which I already have tons of. I won't go into why I'd have lots of cheese wax, except to say: previous hobby gone terribly wrong. Actually, that's not true - I've made some decent cheese, but I don't have the time or space for doing it often, even if I'd like to give it a try again sometime. Let's stick to the socks for now, shall we?