Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Heavy Sigh

I finally finished the Durrow sweater, and he does look quite nice in it. The heavy sigh in the post title could be relief at a job well-done. Of course, it could also be due to the fact that I'm not 100% satisfied with the collar. I'm not usually one to rip and redo things. In my knitting I try to conquer the obsessive need for perfection. I worked so hard on this knit, though, that I want it just right. That, and the fact that it's not for me probably makes it more important that I get it just the way I envisioned it. I guess since I'm not constantly looking at myself while wearing a knitted garment, I can handle a few mistakes here and there or a slightly imperfect fit.

I have to sit and look at my husband wearing my work, though, and if it's not the way I wanted, it bugs me (A bit like the window blinds being askew - yeah, I can handle a pile of dirty dishes in the sink but the blinds have to be perfect. Go figure.). So, I'll be undoing the collar a bit and finding a solution for making it a little tighter. For some reason, it turned out a bit loose. I'm sure it's related to the fact that, despite my stitch gauge being fine, my row gauge was off. Don't ask me how that could have made a difference in the tightness of the collar, but that's probably the problem. I'm thinking I'll just continue into a turtle neckish thing (crew neck, I guess), doing a few decreases to tighten it as it goes up. I'm sure I can handle the relatively simple math that would be involved in that endeavor. So, once again, I've got no knitting to show you. Oh well, the good news is that redoing a little collar isn't like ripping and reknitting a whole sleeve. It should be relatively quick.

And, before I go, I want to thank you all for the comments on my last post. You're all so sweet. The best thing about it is that now I know that if I ever want comments, all I need to do is act all pathetic and needy. Nothing like a little sympathy (or perhaps it was guilt??) to bring out the comments. I swear that's not what I was going for, but I do appreciate the comments. I especially enjoyed seeing some newer commenters who apparently read my blog despite me having been unaware of it. I liked seeing this, because I always like to go read the blogs of those people who read mine. Since I'm pretty isolated from other knitters and a little too busy with the three lambchops to seek out or form a knitting group around here, I use the net and blogging as a way to feel that sense of community and a shared passion. I like reading about the things people knit and seeing the pictures of the finished project. What I like even more, though, is being able to interact with another knitter, which you don't always get from reading the more "popular" blogs that receive a million comments each time they post. My blog obviously doesn't inspire that amount of commenting, and I'm okay with that. Instead, I like to use the comments as a way to get to know the people who read my blog (and likely have some things in common with me). So, comment away. It just might get you a new reader on your own blog.