Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Dog Sinks Teeth In


Exhibit A
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
That's what the headlines would say today if anyone actually cared about the fate of my hand-knits. Obviously, as you can see by that hole, no one does. Remember the pretty wool/cashmere hat I posted about just the other day? The one that Lambchop #2 was so cutely posing in for us? Well, against my better judgement, I allowed my husband to put it on the little guy's head. I even insisted several times that I should go get Lambchop's own hat. Muttonchop insisted a little more than I did, and the hat stayed on Lambchop's head.

Of course, Lambchop didn't make it back into the house with the hat still on his head. We sent out several search parties throughout the evening and the next day. The hat was finally located in the winery. Unfortunately nothing could be done to revive it. It lay lifeless, having sustained several bites (see Exhibit A at right). Lovely as this yarn may be, it appears not to withstand such a fierce canine attack.

I have been mourning its loss since yesterday, and I've just come to be able to speak of it without bitterness now. While the bitterness was still lingering, though, blame was placed on the owner of the cap. He knows who he is and is fully aware that next time he should listen to his all-knowing wife and not place a wool/cashmere hat on the head of a two-year-old. Throughout the entire trial (where I was named judge, jury and executioner), he claimed his innonence. First, he attempted to blame the innocent two-year-old. Seeing that defense could not hold, he shifted tactics and accused the dog. Being the impartial judge that I surely was, I saw through his shinannigans, and sentenced him to a life without hand-made gifts.

He begged and pleaded to no avail, and in a last-ditch effort to obtain clemency, he even repaired the hat himself. The finished product truly was a sad sight, but he gained points for cuteness and an A for effort. He even tried to weasle his way back into my good graces by exclaiming, "You know, this yarn really is wonderful to work with." He's a man after my own heart, I must admit, but it remains to be seen whether he'll ever be receiving any hand-knit goodness from me again.