Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Monday, December 05, 2005

The Disease That Rocked Knitblogland


Bamboo Clapotis Shawl
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
I think most of you can guess which disease I'm talking about here. It hit around this time last year and was quickly passed from knitblogger to knitblogger like an STD in a frat house. I thought I was immune. I told myself I wasn't the kind to catch this very contagious disease, but it appears I was mistaken. Because, as you can see from the photo on the right, I too have come down with a case of the Clap - er, um, The Clapotis Shawl, that is.

I'm knitting mine in some leftover Southwest Trading Company Bamboo yarn. I love the drape of this yarn, and when I saw I would have enough left over from a previous project for a smaller clapotis, I knew I'd fall victim to one of the most-knitted objects on the web. I've been waiting around for a while, but when I saw that I was too fuzzy-brained to actually knit anything complicated, I cast on. It's a pretty easy knit, for the most part.

I have to say, I do understand the attraction to this pattern, now. I didn't like the original width of it, which I made thinner (just seemed too bulky to me when wrapped around as a scarf), but I'm loving these dropped stitches. It's not even the look of them that excites me. It's the feeling of doing something usually disastrous - on purpose - and feeling naughty about it. Too much fun!

By the way, for those counting how long this sort of thing takes, I've knit about a third of it and just started yesterday (at least, I think it was yesterday - the brain fog is clearing slightly, but is certainly far from gone).