Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas In France

I was just over at a site called Tune in Tokyo. It's the blog of a friend of my sister-in-law. She's spending a year teaching English in Japan. She writes about all sorts of experiences she's having there. Oh, yeah, and she learned to knit just before moving there, so extra goodness there.

She just posted an interesting post about Christmas as it's celebrated in Japan. It's pretty funny to see what traditions they're making up as they adopt this western holiday. And, she gave me a little idea for some posts of my own. I've been here for about 4 1/2 year now, and I've been pretty much familiarized with the Christmas traditions of this region, at least. So, I think I'll share some as I think of them. I'll probably be doing this a little closer to the actual day, since a lot will be related to foods served at holiday meals. Something to look forward to. I always find it fun to se traditions of different places.

What traditions are common in your country or region of the US? I know from my little Frappr mappy page that there are some intresting places represented by my audience (if you can call 18 people an actual audience - I love seeing that map, though), so let me know in the comments what your favorite holdiay traditions are (it doesn't actually have to be Christmas, by the way).