Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

My Knitting Spot


My Knitting Spot
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
I've seen people out in knitblogland posting pictures of their favorite knitting spot. I'm not quite as ambitious as some (using photoshop software to write captions all over the picture), but I'll show you where I knit.

This is the corner of our livingroom. It's where most of the books live (though, none of these are knitting or cooking related - those are kept in their own special homes). A while ago, I spent hours organizing all of these books. They were separated into French and English books, reference, fun reading, oversized.... None of that lasted as long as I had hoped. First, there was the husband slyly planting books on the wrong shelves. That was liveable. Things really went hay-wire when Lambchop #2 (we've already discussed his destructive ways) decided to drag them about the livingroom. My organized shelves just haven't been the same since. I guess I just didn't have the heart. I'm sure I'll find a way to fix this someday (barbed wire seem too drastic?).

Oh, yeah, that's not why we're here. We're here for the knitting. So, that corner of the couch next to the lamp (the only light source in this room, aside from a smallish window) is pretty much mine. You can tell by the fact that it's covered and surrounded by knitting projects. The box contains the top-down raglan cardi I'm working on. And, in place of those books still MIA, I've thrown in some other projects.

From right to left on the shelves (all on the second shelf up, since that's what I can reach while sitting)...

1) The recently abandonned Durrow sweater that I'll eventually give in and finish
2) A longish suede leather bag that I made by hand when I was pregnant with or breast-feeding my first (by the way, if anyone has a good source for leather to sew, I'd love to have one)
3) The black and gray wool/cashmere scarf I'm knitting my brother-in-law for Christmas (about 2/3-3/4 finished)
4) Then, there's the plastic bin tower between the sofa and shelves. This thing's ideal for keeping my current projects in (there are just too many at the moment to be tamed by that little guy - I really need a bin for each).
5) Oh, and the red thing on top of the bins is a sneaky project that's currently flying in under the blog radar. I may share later. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

And, that's my space. Of course, like all knitter's homes, an occasional project shows up in odd places, but this is pretty much the command center.

By the way, my mother is probably simultaneously pleased to have a glimpse of my daily activities and horrified at the thought of me posting this mess on the internet. Live with it, Mom. I have to.