Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Anybody Hungry?


Homemade Whole Grain Bread
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
First, I have to say how exciting it is that we've located the camera cords again. I didn't even have to resort to thievery. And, to celebrate, I've got several pictures planned today.

Here's the first. I mentioned the other day that I had made some fresh bread. I don't have a machine, and my Kitchen Aid mixer is broken, so this is the real deal - made from scratch. I love to knead dough with my hands anyway, not to mention the fact that it's good for my wrists, which have a tendency to be weak and give out on me at weird moments.

I think this is one of my favorite recipes. I love it because it's pretty (I like that deep color speckled with grains), very healthy (100% whole wheat) and, of course, delicious. The recipe comes from Eat Drink and Be Healthy, which is a really good nutrition book, by the way.

Anyway, I love to bake bread, it had been a while, and we didn't have any in the house, so what better way to spend a part of my morning? What's great about bread baking is that you can always knit while it's rising. Then, you can knit again while it's baking. That, and the fact that it's edible. Edible hobbies are always good.