Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Peaceful Palms?


Peaceful Palms?
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
So, I've seen people making gloves all over the place lately. And, it's not that I've been itching to join the Peaceful Palms knitalong, but my hands have been getting cold. And, Lambchop #2 lost one of my store-bought gloves last year.

I started to cast on for a pair of gloves in that pink and brown yarn, but I decided that I needed a bit of experience with a non-fair isle glove first.

So, what did I do? Cast on with some Koigu, of course. Those of you who've been around this blog for a long time, may remember some Koigu socks I attempted long ago. I didn't like the finished product, and they were frogged in a recent frogging bonanza. So, the yarn was all ready to be knit up again.

And, it sure knit up nicely into a glove. I did the whole glove from the fingers down to the cuff instead of starting at the cuff. I'll do anything to avoid sewing at the end of the job, and I'm very satisfied with this method.

Nona (who I'm too lazy to link to at the moment) has been doing a tutorial on knitting gloves in this way. She uses the i-cord finger method, though, and just reading the word i-cord turned me off from it. But, having recently learned the very satisfying Turkish cast-on, I decided fingers would be easy to do with that method. And, they were! Having done the fingers "my way" (I later found out that I'm not the only one in the world to have thought of this), I did take a peak at Nona's pattern to join the fingers to the hand. I'm not too sure I followed her instructions exactly since my stitch count was not the same as hers after doing the Turkish cast-on fingers. The join looks nice, though, and I continued on. I pretty much winged the rest of it, and I love the finished glove.

I think Nona does her thumb gusset differently. I don't think her gloves would show that diagonal line running up the palm. I actually really like that look, though, so I went with it.

So, having done a glove, I guess I should head over and actually sign up for the knitalong and knit the other, right?

Ahhhhhh, Peaceful Palms, indeed. I mean, how could they not be while wearing that luscious Koigu yarn?