Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Who Needs Cats?

I saw one of the kitties this evening. It didn't come near me, but I was happy to see it still alive. I hope the othe two are doing well, too. I'm trying not to be bitter about the fact that they didn't want me to keep them.

And, besides, we don't need no stinkin' cats - not when we have all sorts of fun insects beating the doors and windows down just to hang at our place. Look at this guy, for example. It's a grasshopper, by the way, though I couldn't enlighten you as to the species. He's pretty thin, but very long (about 3 inches with that funky tail at the end - which I think he uses for mating purposes, by the way (ladies... well, no comments about the size of that thing)).

The moths, flies and mosquitos that sneak in the unscreened windows around here really get on my nerves, but this picture proves that there are advantages as well. And, luckily for me, I've figured out how to work the macro setting on the camera, so you get to see him in all his glory. The insects' instinct to sit there and try to look inconspicuous when in danger is a great plus when trying to get a good focus, too.