Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Patchwork Quilt Beginnings


Patchwork Quilt beginnings
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
This shot is horrible. I realize that, and I apologize, but at least you can see the designs and colors pretty well. I started this quilt (no, I can't be called a quilter - quitter fits better) when I learned I was pregnant with Lambchop #1 (she'll be four next month, and I knew I was knocked up pretty quickly). So, why did it never get finished? I've got two reasons to give:

1) I didn't have any game plan whatsoever. I just made little patches with no idea of how I was going to fit them together. At some point in the future, I'll have to sit down and figure that out (maybe for a grandchild??).

2) All the sewing on this was done by hand. I didn't have a sewing machine at the time. Can you really imagine making an entire quilt by hand? Now that I think about it, I even hand-sewed a leather bag that I use all the time to hold my knitting supplies when on the run. It's still holding up, so I must not be too bad, but boy is that time-consuming.

So, I'm hoping that putting this stuff (and there are several more I didn't photograph) on the net might motivate me to think of a way to finish this quilt up.

Also, as a side note, for those of you interested, I did end up catching all three kitties, as well as releasing their parents back into the wilds we call our yard. The last kitty inflicted a painful bite on my right pointer finger (very annoying since it gets used a lot when I knit). I'll let you know when gangrene sets in (not really - it's healing fine now). Wish me luck on the kitten taming deal. I'm starting to wonder if it'll even be possible to tame these guys. I hope so, because they're so sweet, and I my father-in-law confirmed what I already assumed - they would have died if I hadn't started feeding them (that's what happened to the last litter). I think I deserve to pet the kitties for my efforts, don't you?

And, lastly, before I get in some knitting time, which I haven't had much of lately, I'll try to post the bookmark pattern tomorrow. I need to sit down and type it out. Since someone wanted it in time for Father's Day, I'll try to do it tomorrow.