Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Untalented, Anonymous Commenter (Part III)


Stitching Detail (Sun)
Originally uploaded by The Stitchin Sheep.
The picture is not excellent, and I apologize for that, but if you look closely in the white area of the quilt here, you can see the detailed stitching she did on this quilt (remember, the first one she ever did - before taking a class). Now that I look at it again, I realize the picture is sideways, but it doesn't really matter (I forgot to rotate it). It's the sun over the house that sits in the center of the quilt. There are lots of details like this in the stitching. I was thoroughly impressed when she gave it to me.

In case you're wondering, she did not sew this by hand, because she has had a long career of too much typing and has carpal tunnel problems in her wrists. But, actually, to me, that's even more impressive. I'm okay with a sewing machine myself, and I feel that I have much, much more control over the designs I make when sewing by hand. I can't for the life of me figure out how she made a full circle on her machine. I suspect there were some fabric pencil lines involved, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, I would have been all over the place with those stitches. I have pedal-to-the-metal-syndrome on my machine. I can't seem to go at a steady, slow pace.

I'm looking at these pictures, and I'm thinking to myself: untalented, indeed.

Tomorrow, we'll take a little look at another hobby of hers that she sucks at - stained glass.