Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Hitchcock Flick?


Enormous Moth
Originally uploaded by The Stitchin Sheep.
No, just a scene from our kitchen window. This is a freakishly huge moth I found flailing against the kitchen window screen trying to get to the light in the house. I've never seen anything like this is my life. I'll bet if Hitchcock had known this thing existed, he'd have used these instead of birds in the movie Birds. Can you imagine getting that thing in stuck in your hair while having dinner outside some night? Or worse, at some fancy party, where your hair's lacquered enough to trap the thing? Scary.

I wish I had something for scale in this shot, but I'll just tell you it's got the wing span of a bat. No kidding. It's about 6 inches across,

I think I may have to start a Freaky Insect photo section of my blog for those who think they'd prefer to live where I live. I have a friend who spent 80% of her one-week visit with us snapping shots of all the amazing insects we've got in this part of the country. Off the top of my head, I can think of two other enormous beasts I've seen around - a huge striped grasshopper-type guy and a big black bumble bee (lambchop #2 tried to pick one up last fall - that's how cool they look). We've also taken a picture of an unnaturally large toad before. It was about the size of a softball (maybe a bit bigger, but I'm having trouble thinking of anything else for comparison).

Anyway, aren't we all glad there aren't any of these snooping around our yarn stashes? Can you imagine the damage?