Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Knitted Wooden Bead Bracelet

Here is the most recent result of my foray into jewerly making. I knitted this, even if it was really fiddly with all the different size beads. It was a lot faster than working with the metal wire, though (and less painful).

It's made with linen thread that I bought at my favorite open-air market yesterday. There's a lady who sells all sorts of sewing notions and some yarn (most of which is not very attractive and looks cheap). I bought some better clasps (learn from my magnetic clasp error, please) that actually hold. The beads are some things I got at La Droguerie in Lyon when I was there to get enough yarn to finish a project I was working on and had miscalculated for. I bought them only to reach the amount needed to be able to use my credit card. And, I absolutely love wooden beads, so no arm-twisting was necessary.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure about this bracelet. I love the look of it, but the big bead in the center makes it a bit top-heavy - hey, some of us have that problem, and I don't see anything wrong with that, except that in this case it makes the bracelet always slide to where the prettiest part is facing down.

I also made it a bit big for me, but I think it's just the size for my mom. We'll have to see if she thinks it's something she'll wear. If not, this is definitely getting recycled into something that won't slip around on me. Maybe it should have been destined to be a necklace instead. That could solve the problem of the top-heaviness, since the heavy part SHOULD be on the bottom.

So, we'll see what others think. Is it a keeper? Or, do we recycle?