Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sucker For Big Brown Eyes

Despite the fact that I married a blue-eye man and both my kids have blue eyes, I'm still a sucker for a big pair of brown eyes - if they're attached to a sweet puppy dog face with big floppy ears. Yesterday, on the way home from playgroup, we saw a hound of some sort wandering in the middle of a windy road people tend to go way too fast on. I had noticed him when leaving a few hours earlier, so I was a bit worried. I checked him, and he had no collar. I ended up going on home and calling the neighbor about it. Finally, I loaded the kids back up in the car and went down to go get him. He got right into the car and rode home with us. As it turns out, he's the sweetest thing, and lambchop #1 and I have fallen in love with him. So, have we adopted a doggie? Nope.

Alas, dear hubbie doesn't want another mouth to feed, and if and when we get a dog, he wants it to be a Border Collie. How fair is that? I grew up with hounds (dachshunds, to be specific), and I love them. And, this dog really seems to have gotten under my skin because it's actually got me sad to think about taking him to the SPCA. I've tried to no avail to find out where he could have come from. This sort of searching is not easy over the weekend here in France. I'll try again on Monday, of course, because I imagine someone is missing him. He seems well-cared for and is very good-natured. I can't see anyone purposely dumping a dog like that on the side of a deserted road.

Anyway, so I haven't done much knitting today, though I did make another bracelet. I'm not sure about this one. It's interesting looking, but I'm not 100% sure I like it. Part of me says it looks really cool, while another part thinks it may be a bit too funky. I'll post a picture later to see what you think.

Other than that, I've done a little weeding in the garden, and we can now see all the beautiful lettuce that will soon be ready to eat. In fact, I'll have to do a bit of thinning soon in some places, so we'll have the priviledge of eating some baby greens again. Yum.