Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Sewing Experiment

Here it is: what at least three of you have been anxiously awaiting! Now, aside from the picture, in which I look slumped over (there go my dreams of becoming the next big super model - well there's always knitting), what do you think?

Ever since last summer when my sister-in-law and I were poking around in a book at the store called something like "Dress for Your Figure," and I learned that I had been doing many things wrong for years, I've been aching to try a wrap around shirt like this. I figured they'd be all over the place, because you see people wearing them, but I couldn't find any that didn't make a huge show of my cleavage. So, I set out to design my own.

I'm really happy with this, because it's really the first time I've made a pattern on my own that wasn't something straight like a skirt or something like that. I have done a silly zebra costume for lambchop #2, but I wasn't careful about it looking good. For this, I actually got out my pattern drawing paper and made measurements of my body (which can be a bit depressing, doncha know?). This is what I came up with.

Ever the one to go against the grain, I decided to flip the fabric sideways. If you use it as it was apparently intended, it makes something of a horizontal stripe pattern with those boxes you see. And, we all know that with the chub I've got left from baby makin', that's a no no.

It ties in the back, and in the end, it was pretty simple. Just two pieces to the pattern, but you make two of the front piece.

My husband is a bit worried about his wife going out in something so low-cut, but hey, we must attract the eye away from the stomach, and anyway, it only gives the hint of a cleavage show, not an actual cleavage show.

Funny, though, this picture is the first time I've immediately gotten 8 viewings of my picture before even having time to name it on my Flickr account. Who knew putting a picture of a girl's boobies directly in the middle of a shot with no head would attract the attention of random strangers!?