Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

What?!?!


IMG_1334
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
I know what you're asking yourself. What is this, and what on earth is it doing in a knitting blog? Well, I'll tell you, but first, you have to sit through an explanation of where I found it...

The other day - it was a gorgeous day - I had the brilliant idea of taking a family hike on our property. My husband is pretty much always game for this kind of hike, as it allows him to survey the far off bits and pieces of our property (like the electric fence intended to keep wild boar out of the vineyards that some hikers had so kindly disconnnected for us - no respect!).

So, while enjoying the scent of wild rosemary and thyme (which I snatched a bit of for dinner), I happened upon this yellow blob on a rock, which I recognized from a book we have. I had to snap a picture for you. Now to the "what is it?" To the inexperienced observer it would be a bit of yellow lichen, while to those really in the know, it's 100%, all-natural yarn dye. And we're swimming in it out here! If only I had the time and energy to harvest about 40 kilos of it, we could have ourselves some stunning yellow yarn. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how they used to do it. I've seen a picture of the color it gives, and it really is beautiful.