Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Laundry?


Laundry?
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
Nope, try again. This time, think floor coverings. Yes, you've got it now. What else could it have been after all? It's going to be a rug. Still don't get it. I'll help the less imaginative among you along.

These are some old dress shirts of my husband's that are unwearable for various reasons. I've been thinking about the idea of knitting a rug for the new house, and the Not Yarn Along that just popped up has given me the motivation to start. The Not Yarn Along, for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, is an opportunity for those knitting unusual non-yarn items into something useful or totally impractical. You can check it out here.

So, my not-yarn of choice is old dress shirts. I'm just going to cut them up into long strips with my pinking shears. If I were Amish, I'd sew the edges together to make a nice, clean yarn, but, well, I'm not, and I've got two small kids, so pinking shears.

The two boxes you see on the top of the pile are fabric dyes you use by just throwing the stuff in the washing machine with the clothes. I want a bit more color than the whites and light blues you see here (though, if I'd gotten a better picture, you'd see one of the more obnoxious colorful shirts I was telling you my husband had, too). So, I've got some red dye and some yellow. I'm excited. I just need to sit down with the scissors and go at it (I'll dye before cutting, though). I'm thinking this could have a therapeutic aspect to it. Fun!