Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Front Tie Sweater Idea

Okay, I don't even have the yarn for this, but I wanted to put the idea down in words before I forget that I even had it. On my sister-in-law, I saw a very cute little sweater that I loved the idea of. Now, to be honest, it may only be the idea that I love after I put one on myself, but I'll share the idea with you all just for fun.

The sweater was somewhat of a shrug taken to the next level. If I remember correctly, the sleeves were 3/4-length. I don't really recall, but the sweater body itself was the interesting part. It was not fully closed in the front (bear with my description, because it's hard to put into words). Instead of having a zipper or buttons like most cardigans, it had two "things" I can only say are somewhat akin to the wings on modern feminine hygeine products. They were about chest level, long and somewhat thin. Basically, their purpose was to tie the front of the sweater. It was really quite cute, especially on my sister-in-law, whose pregnant belly protruded sweetly from the front.

So, my idea is to do some variation of this in a soft angora or angora/lambswool blend - maybe in black to make it nice and dressy, but also so that it could go over most anything (those hers was in a fun vibrant lime). Ooh, and beads would look cute lining the color, or a scalloped edge... (two things I could add to my repertoire of knitting know-hows.

My task now is to figure out a logical way to knit such a thing.