Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Good Intentions...

I swear my intentions are good. I tell myself I will blog - and even throw in some pictures, but it just doesn't seem to happen these days. We'll blame it on pregnancy and the never-ending urge to nest. Don't get me wrong, it's a helpful urge, and by the time I finish my pregnancy, we may just have a house that you can live in without having to step over junk to walk (that is my dream, no matter how modest it may seem).

Then, there's the gardening. The hard part of gardening (to me, at least) is the beginning. There's all the planning out of where things will live. Then, there's the digging for rocks, rocks and more rocks. After that, you have to actually plant the seeds if you ever want to see them grow. I'm hardly an expert. Barely an amateur, actually, but this year, I'm very ambitious. My goal is to not have to go to the store to buy veggies for a good portion of the summer. It may be unrealistic based on my gardening skills, but we can only hope. So, I'm planting almost every food we tend to eat, plus some we usually don't (got to try to something new to spice things up a bit).

I figure that if I do this right, I can kick back in late pregnancy and chow down on the fruits of my labor. Okay, well, maybe not kick back, exactly, because if we're lucky, and all goes right, we'll have plenty of stuff to put up in the freezer for this winter. That is what I'd really love. Imagine a life with only minimal trips to the veggie store with the three little ones in tow. Yeah, I think you're starting to see where the motivation comes from. It's somehow easier to tend to them in the fenced in garden than the citrus aisle at the store. And, then there's something that just feels right about putting your hands in the dirt and watching things grow from your efforts. Even better is watching your children take interest in the land and the food they consume. All good reasons to garden, but really, I'm in it for the grub. So, let's hope we get lots of good grub.

Then, there's the knitting - yes, actual knitting. I know I've not done much of that lately, and I do miss it. Part of the problem is the fact that I need to purchase a few sets of needles in sizes I don't already own. This would get me started on the projects that interest me most at the moment (like socks... baby steps - it's been a while). I do have one project that is lingering but nearing completion. I worked hard on it last night and a few nights ago, and it's finally coming along. I plan to snap a little picture of it later when the sun is out in full force. I won't tell you what it is. It'll be more fun to guess, since the putting together of this thing is a real mystery to me. So, be on the lookout for a real, live photo here very soon - at least that's my intention.