Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Eat My Dust

They say that you should learn from your mistakes, but it's not always as easy as one would hope. I am trying, though, to improve in this matter, and today is quite possibly a success. The other day, I mentioned cleaning the livingroom. I got about 3/4 finished before being too exhausted to go on. I went to bed and woke up the next morning with a stuffy nose and a nice, big headache. With my allergy problems, I really should know better, but somebody's got to clean the mess, and if not me, then who? Sure, no one else in the family has my allergies, but I repeat, who would do it if not me? So, I've been suffering through the symptoms of an allergy attack for the past few days. I'll spare you the details of the steps I'm taking to rid myself of it (since I can't take traditional allergy meds while pregnant). You don't really want to read about the nasal cleaning fluids I bought at the pharmacy today, do you? Oops. No details. Right. Obviously, this is not fun, but, that darn 1/4 of a livingroom that I left unclean has been calling to me. Taunting me, really. And, who wants to be beaten by inanimate objects that way? So, I had to attack. But how?

What to do? What to do? No way I'm diving into the dust bunnies again, right? Well, wrong, but this time I armed myself with a dust mask (like carpenters use). I forget why we even had one around, but I'm happy to have found it pretty quickly when I searched (who says I'm not organized?). And, despite the discomfort involved in breathing in your own hot air while working, I think it's better than the other option. So far, no sneezing fits have occurred like the other day, so that's a good sign. We'll proceed with a good usage of the nasal cleansing stuff that I didn't mention before afterwards. Hopefully I'll have a clean livingroom AND clean nasal passages when all is said and done. Once again, too much information. What can I say? I'm a sharing kind of person.

There's been other excitement around here, too. I'm catching up on the laundry, which you don't care about. I have also caught up on some long lost knitting projects, though, which I believe some of you may actually want to hear about. It's been so long since I've done much posting about knitting that I think I lost some readers (woops), but I've got stuff to show soon.

First, there's the cashmere/wool blend cardigan I was making for myself. It took a slight detour back in January, when I realized the neck was too loose. I was so annoyed I didn't want to even look at it for months. Now that it'll soon be too hot to wear it, though, I was strangely motivated to try it on again. I decided to sit down with it and a bit of elastic thread and got to work. In about 10 minutes, I had a perfectly acceptable collar, and now I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner. Oh well. I still can't quite get away with wearing it yet, anyway, because I need to reinforce parts of the zipper with my sewing machine. It's all sewn down except the part that has the plasticky coating down at the bottom of the zipper. That part was too hard to sew by hand. The needle just refused to go through, so I gave up. That'll have to be fixed before I can really wear it much.

The other project that's nearing completion is the petal pink ballerina style sweater I'm making Lambchop #1. I need to make two long i-cord strings to wrap around her and then sew it all together. I'm pleased, because, despite the length of time it took me to knit it (or get around to it, rather), she hasn't outgrown it yet. Yay! I'm really hoping to finish it by tomorrow. Can it be done, though? Who knows? Certainly not if I sit here at the computer. So, back to work on those chores. Be on the lookout for pictures. Who knows? If the livingroom looks good enough, you may even get a glimpse of it (I know that's a picture only a mom would love).