Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What Would You Pay For It?


Branching Out Scarf
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
I believe I mentioned that my local American Women's Group was having a little charity bazaar. It's taking place after our Thanksgiving dinner this weekend, and I've promised to try to knit some things and bake some goodies, too. I've so far knitted very few things to sell. I've got one or two (maybe three) washcloths that might sell, but two are a bit small and would be best for babies. Then, there's the red capelet that I still need to finish up. It's only a matter of making the tassles and weaving in ends, but we all know how fun that can be.

So as not to show up totally empty-handed, though, I decided to knit a lacey scarf or two. My plan is to add a couple quick bookmarks to it and call it a day (well, it'll likely take a few days, but who's counting).

I've got all this Anny Blatt wool/mohair blend yarn I bought a month ago. I'll likely have plenty for what I wanted to do with it, so I decided to sacrifice a bit for charity. This is not as easy as it would seem. I love the idea of knitting for a good cause, but I seem rather attached to my stash and have trouble parting with any of it.

It IS for a good cause, though, so I made an effort. I dug in and came up with this blue/grey Fine Kid. It wasn't as soft as I'd hoped (it's no Rowan Kid Silk Haze - that silk really adds some softness), but it feels like it's softer than I first thought. I'm thinking it'll be just fine once I wash and block it.

In case you can't tell, it's the Branching Out Scarf from Knitty. It's a pretty easy knit and goes quickly once you get the hang of the pattern. I can see how it would be a good pattern for lace beginners.

So, as I near the halfway point on this scarf, my question is this: What do you charge for a lacey mohair scarf you've hand-knit for a charity? I have no idea what a hand-knit scarf sells for. Any suggestions? My husband came up with 15 bucks, but I'm thinking the man really underestimates the value of lace (and, he certainly underestimates the value of my handywork, huh?). I'm thinking more in the range of 30-40, but I want it to sell, too. Please, please, please leave me your suggestions in the comments section. They would be greatly appreciated.

And, so as not to leave you with the image of me begging for your help...

Have you ever passed in front of a mirror and caught a glimpse of your reflection and thought, "I may as well be wearing sweat pants or pajamas, because that's how flattering this outfit is?" Happened to me just yesterday.

Good Lord, people, when on earth did I lose all self-pride? I actually went out in those clothes.

Oh, yeah, that's right, I turned 30 this year and am married with two small children. Apparently, I no longer have any shame.

It's sad, really. I have almost no clothes that actually fit me correctly anymore. This is what childbearing has done to me. Things are either the too tight, before-I-got-knocked-up clothes or the too loose, after-the-watermelon-slid-out clothes. There's not much in between.

What's a girl to do? I mean, I can't really justify buying new clothes, because that would cut into my yarn budget!