Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Here Kitty, Kitty


The Kitties
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
You know, I can say that phrase and make kissie-kissie noises till I'm blue in the face, but this is as close as they'll let me get. Funny thing is, the kids are much more likely to hurt them (with their bizarre need to cruely chase them from their feeding dish), but they're somehow less frightened by them than me. Go figure.

Either way, I enjoy sitting and watching them gobble down their food each afternoon. I know I haven't given any updates about them in a long time, so I guess I'll do that now.

A while back, I noticed there were no only two. The third seems to have disappeared. It was about that time that I realized that the other two were looking pretty skinny. I fed them everyday, but that didn't seem to matter. Then, one day, while the kids and I were playing in the winery, one of them left behind it's timidity to come call me. I fed it, and then realized that the adult male of the group had been sneaking over and scaring away to kitties to eat their food. Now, he's been fending for himself in the wild just fine, so I was irked, to say the least.

I've switched their feeding time, and I try to watch as much as possible to scare their deadbeat dad off if he shows up. So far, so good. They're plumping up nicely and have nice, shiny coats now.

One thing I've noticed is that there is a definite pecking order. The little guy (or girl, maybe) whose face is whiter is definitely the leader. He/she always gets his/her fill of food before the other one comes in. If the other one makes an attempt at eating while the first one gets a sip of water, it gets whacked with a paw. I've put out a second dish to see if we can make life a little fairer.