Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Feather and Fan Shawl


Feather and Fan Shawl
Originally uploaded by Sheepish.
While I had the iron out (because that's a rarity around here) for my recent sewing adventures, I decided to test a blocking technique I'd heard about on a French knitting forum. They didn't describe it much, but I knew it involved an iron. So, I decided to pull out the Feather and Fan Shawl I hadn't touched in ages to see what would happen with a bit of steam. I didn't actually touch the shawl with the iron for fear of what might happen, but I steamed it a bit and stretched it out while it was still hot. It worked to do a bit of blocking on the shawl. Worked so well, in fact, that it gave me a motivation to get back to work on this project.

Each row takes so long that I hadn't had the will-power to touch it in so long, but seeing what it could look like finished spurred me on. I've knit a whole repeat (wow!) in the last couple of days (along with finishing the first of my sock pal socks and starting the second).

I've measured and counted repeats, and it looks like I'm nearing the halfway point, though I may not really be hitting gauge since it's not the same yarn as the pattern, and I really didn't care to do a gauge swatch since it's only a shawl and size really isn't a bit issue. So, I'll just go until it looks good to me, I think. Of course, if I'm not careful with my patience, that could be too soon. I'm not too fond of those mile-long rows you have to knit for shawls. You don't feel like you're getting anywhere.