Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Projects Started

Now that I got the blue v-neck done, I've got to find something to do with myself, right? Certainly wouldn't want to entertain any notions of getting extra housework done. Who wants to be caught up on that kind of stuff, anyway? So, I've done about half of the aqua blue, angora cross-your-heart vest for my daughter. She's going to look so cute in it - if, of course, she doesn't refuse to wear it like the poncho. My plan was to quickly snap that one out because it's so tiny (there's a large amount of satisfaction in doing a little job after that v-neck), when low and behold, my husband tells me we've been invited by the mayor of Montpellier to attend a party thrown by the city. It seems my winemaking hubbie's wine will be served, and the mayor wants to show off the local labor force to his friends.

Now, I'm not much of a schnazzy dresser, so my first thought is one of panic at having nothing to wear (the party's on the 6th). I immediately asked said hubbie what one wears to such an occasion. My dear, sweet farmer tells me, "jeans." His black Calvin Kleins, he assures me (we wouldn't want to show up underdressed, after all). Of course, why didn't I think of that? That's his idea of rebellion, I believe. Well, I won't be wearing jeans, and neither will he, if I have anything to say about it (we could at least iron a pair of khakis and a decent shirt). So, what do you do in these instances? Knit yourself something fancy, of course. Maybe a dress, an angora sweater, a shimmery tank top. Who's got time for that? Not I. But, I do have time to use a couple odd skeins to make a scarf. So, which did I select? Well, I have a fancy, shiny recycled silk yarn made by Himalayan Yarns I still hadn't figured out what to do with and a matching wool/recycled silk blend by the same company. There's really not enough there to do much more than a long scarf, so that's what I'm doing. I'm liking it so far. In my opinion, the 100% silk is a bit much when knit by itself. Too many colors together, and with all that shine! Not in my bland wardrobe. Save that for Ivana Trump!

So, I've got it about halfway knit, and it looks pretty good. Just plain stockinette stitch (we don't need to overdo the silk), tassles on each end and yarn changes every two rows. I really like the stripes. It tones down the silk and gives it a really elegant look, I think. It'll probably look nice with a black blouse.

We'll see. If not, I could always go in the fancy dress I wore to my brother's wedding....