Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Friday, January 21, 2005

Knitting Recycled Bags: An Unoriginal Idea

I've had a few comments about the plastic bag yarn bra, and I just wanted to let everyone know, that, once again, I wasn't being completely original. I've never actually seen anything about recycling bags this way, nor have I heard of a yarn bra done this way. I do, however, have an acquaintance who had seen a site online about doing it. So, my idea is not 100% original, and I would like to make people aware of this, so that they may seek out other ideas for knitting up those many plastic bags that plague our modern households. I checked this morning, and a simple google search of: [ knit plastic bags ] gives you plenty of sites to start with. So, for all of you currently mulling over ideas for using up your grocery bags, google it. You may find something interesting.

Some other ideas I have had for knitting plastic bags:
-Beach bag.
-Shopping bag somewhat like the felted French Market bag that's so popular in blogland at the moment.
-Mesh netting used in car trunks to hold things in place while car is in motion (you just need a couple of hooks to hold it in place).
-Diaper bag.
-Baby changing mat.
-Mesh bag to hang on back of stroller to hold lightweight items (don't want to weigh down the stroller)
-Knit tightly enough, maybe you could make a baby bib or an apron.
-Colorful placemats, if you've got really nice colors of plastic bags (not recommended for very hot dishes) - this could be a fun "weaving" activity for kids even if they don't knit.
-Just a thought: Could you make a rain jacket from this stuff if it were knitting tightly enough? I know, who'd wear it?
-Flip Flop sandals - in my opinion they can't be any more uncomfortable than the real thing (can't stand them).
-Mesh Wine Bag (to protect wine bottles, especially in transport).
-Hanging basket-like bag to hold fruits or veggies in the kitchen, if they didn't already come in a mesh bag.
-Squarish bag to hold recyclables (one for glass, one for plastics, one for paper!)
-Outdoor floor mat to scrape dirty shoes.

I admit, I got a bit silly there, but the sky is the limit: perhaps some fishnet pantyhose and a matching mini-skirt for that special "lady" in your life?!?

And some ideas others have brought to my attention:
-A lacey bag to hold yarn scraps in for the birds to use for their nest-making
-A bag's bag (you know, a bag to keep your plastic grocery bags in before you get a chance to knit them).
-Kitchen floor mat
-Hand bags

If you have other ideas, and you want to share them, please feel free to leave them in the comment section of this post. Or, if you have made items recycling plastic bags, and you have a site with instructions and/or pictures, feel free to share that as well.

I have also seen a site online where they give detailed instructions on how to cut the bags into one long strip. It looks better thought out than my method. If you're interested, click here.