Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Friday, January 07, 2005

Cinderella Story

The party last night was magical. I felt like Cinderella. Champagne and wine flowed endlessly. The food was sublime. All eyes were upon me as I was swirled around the dance floor by the most handsome man in the room. Certainly a night to be remembered.

What really happened...

Okay, so it was far from magical, and my husband was actually right in thinking I could have gone in jeans (though very few did), but I'm glad I didn't anyway. Most people wore dressy business attire (though you could easily pick apart the understated elegance of the filthy rich from the rest of us), and I can proudly say that I was one of the few people in the room NOT wearing black. One of the rare moments in my life when I actually felt original. There was a speech, given by a city counsel member. It was very long, yet... very boring. Not a good start to the evening. The wine and champagne really did flow endlessly, and the food wasn't bad. Just all kinds of little finger sandwiches and that sort of thing. Nothing really to write home about and most likely a pretty forgettable evening, though, my husband was, as always, the most handsome man in the room. So, though all was not lost (we did get a free "meal" out of it), we were out of there by 8 pm and off to see a movie, that I would hardly recommend (Alexander - Stone apparently tried too hard to make an epic film).

All that most likely sounds like I had a horrible evening, but any parent knows that a night without children, that you can spend alone with your spouse feels akin to sneaking out on a forbidden date in high school (not that I know what that is like, Mom, if you're reading - it's just a figure of speech).

So, stay tuned for pictures of my outfit, which I will post shortly.