Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Party Stress

I'm starting to get stressed about Thursday night's fancy shindig. Why? Well, for starters, I haven't been to anything fancier than playgroup (slight exaggeration, I'm sure you understand) since my brother's wedding probably seven or eight years ago (Bad sister! I don't remember when it was). I also haven't had a job I had to dress up for since the late nineties. And, even then, I never looked like a million bucks. To top it off, though, anything that might have been pretty enough doesn't fit my post-pregnancy, still breastfeeding body anyway. Got anything I could borrow? I'm not picky.

I can't even dig into my stash and find some fancy yarns to make a flowy, open knit shawl or something. There's just not enough of anything, and of course, none of my oddments actually matches anything else. Ho hum. What to do?

How pathetic am I? There are more important things in life. I know this, but it doesn't keep me from feeling like I'll most likely look waaaaaay out of place. And, I'm sad to have to admit that I'm a people pleaser at heart, and there's nothing worse to me than receiving disapproving glares. Is there hope for curing this condition? Maybe in my 30's I'll get over it. We're just around the corner. Could this be something to look forward to as I age?