Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Inspiration Strikes!

And, I didn't even have to buy anything. That's true inspiration, ain't it? I had forgotten all about some fabric my mom and I had purchased a million years ago. It was originally destined to be a dress, but part of the fabric shrunk horribly in the prewash. It stayed at my mom's till I visited last summer, when it made it's way across the Atlantic to join the rest of my fabric stash. Anyway, it's a matching synthetic fabric of salmony color (but prettier than that, I swear) and this tranparent flowy fabric with Renaissance artsy designs on it. I loved it back then and was disappointed to see the salmony stuff shrink. But, the good news is that if I had used it back then, it most likely wouldn't fit me now. So, my prior loss is my current gain.

All I have to do is get out the sewing machine and some pattern drawing paper (the proper name for this stuff escapes my excited mind) to make a simple emsemble. Yippee! Should this really make me so happy? I told you already I'm aware of how pathetic this is. Anyway, there is enough of the plain-colored fabric to make a knee-length skirt, and more than enough of the transparent one to make a flowy poncho. And, to make things even better, the flowy fabric has finished edges on two sides. Good thing, too, because it looks like it'll be a doozy to work with. Luckily there's enough to practice a bit on an edge.

This all makes my day, because I now know I won't have to freeze my reary end off in a tank-like (albeit elegant) black dress I own.

The real trick is to find the time to do it!