Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Swatches and Sex Toys (That'll Bring the Pervs)


Here's your warning: this is going to be a longish post full of pictures. I'll make all attempts at being concise, but well, you may have noticed by now that I can be a bit long-winded.

First, as promised, is the photo of the little pink square I made for the Warming Kaitlyn blanket. At first glance, I thought she was probably around Lambchop #1's age, but it turns out she's closer to Lambchop #2's age. Her family seems to be taking her illness in stride and doing the best they can with what they've got. Warming her with a blanket made entirely of her favorite color seems like a worthy endeavor to me. It really didn't take long, either. So, if you've got a favorite stitch pattern or some new one you'd love to try out, why not try it out for Kaitlyn? Just hop on over there and volunteer.

Now, for those who want specs on this pattern, yarn, etc. It's made with Knit Picks Merino Style in Petal (can you tell I've got way too much of that color?). I knit the square on 3.75mm needles (I've decided this yarn may pill a bit less if knit at a tighter gauge than recommended by the manufacturer). The pattern is one of my favorite from the Barbara Walker book (the red one - that's the second, I believe). It's called something like Ladders and Cables. I love the whimsy of it. It reminds me of candies twisted into their wrappers. Perfect for a little girl, I think.



Next up is a swatch I did in some Anny Blatt Fine Kid (mohair with some lambswool, I believe). I realized the other day that Lambchop #1 really needs a new sweater. As kids are known to do, she has outgrown many of her clothes (it's a shame I couldn't justify sending her to school in knitted pants). I wanted a quick knit, but I don't have any chunky gauge wool in my stash. I can't wear the stuff, because, well... chunky yarn = chunky girl, and who needs any extra chunk after having a baby? It's hard to justify paying for chunky wool, too, since you get so little yardage from it. So, I pulled out this mohair. I figured I could make an airy little sweater for her. She prefered this color over the pale green I had, as well, so I swatched and am now on my way to a sweater, as you can see in the next shot.



Since I was going for quick and easy, I decided to knit this in the round (no seaming!). It'll be a raglan pull-over. Simple, but with a bit of interest, since I've done the bottom edge in a scallopy little design. You don't get the full benefit of the pattern down there, because of the openness caused by knitting this yarn on such large needles (10.5mm), but the scalloped edge is what I was most interested in. It'll just be a bonus if you can see the yarnovers at all. The sleeves will have this same edge to them, so it'll be a dainty little sweater, I hope.


This next photo is one of the baby shawl in progress. I really wish I had gotten a nice shot of it all stretched out after blocking that center square. That surely would have helped when I asked you for suggestions on where to go next the other day. Incidentally, just so you know, the designer in me won out over my lazy side. I've found a nice border that gives just the effect I was looking for to add as a buffer zone between the main square and what I think will be a ruffled edge. I've got plenty of this yarn, so I may as well go all out. So what if she'll be using it at her wedding instead of as a baby shawl. She'll get it some day.

Now. Onto the good stuff. All around the knitblogs, people celebrate? "WTF Wednesdays". For those of you not familiar with this, WTF is short for What The Ffff... ummmm.. (in the interest of maintaining a PG-13 rating) Fudge?. The participants just chat on Wednesdays about something or someone who made them think "What the.... ummmm... fudge?" I don't usually participate, and I know this isn't even Wednesday, but I've got one to share that just can't be let to slip by. So, without further ado, I present this:

Anybody care to wager a guess? Nope, not Aladdin's Lamp. Some kind of a bong? No sirree, Bob. Not a feminine hygiene product, either, though you're getting warmer.... Noooo. Most definitely not a sex toy (oops, that PG-13 rating's about to go out the window). Come one, you can figure it out. Why, yes. That's it exactly. Though not a sex toy, it is indeed intended to make you sexier. Because you've tried to get HIS attention in so many ways. Doing those sweet little nose snorts didn't do it, and no amount of belching or farting seemed to be the key. But, baby, you let him see you doing this:



Well, I think it's safe to say he'll be yours forever. Yep. Wrapped around your little finger. I kid you not. This is just the kind of thing that turns men on.

Seriously, though. Can you imagine this woman on a blind date?
Him: So, what do you do for a living?
Her: I'm a model.
Him: Really? Would I have seen you in anything?
Her: Maybe... do you have allergies?

Perhaps she dates this guy. Because that's a match made in heaven, if I ever saw one. And, by the way, I'm thinking either one of these objects could be the ideal Christmas gift for anyone on your list. Oh, and in case you're wondering why on earth I would have one of those little nose cleaning devices, I'll just say that it works wonders on ridding you of sinus infections and leave it at that. And, sadly, I think I'm going to leave you with this image. It was either start with it or end with it, and who wants this thing at the top of their page?