Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Let's Talk Charity...

We're nearing Christmas time, in case you didn't notice. I'm nowhere near prepared, but I'm taking it all in stride. Instead of worrying about knitting/buying gifts for my loved ones, I've decided to knit for those I don't know. You see charity knitting all over the web. I've never done it, myself, though, because I don't know of any knitting charities in France, and it seemed a little excessive to ship something all the way to the US (if you know of any knitting charities in France, by the way, please let me know). Today, however, I stumbled across a little post (don't ask me where, because I can't remember) about a little girl named Kaitlyn who is ill. She looks to be about the age of Lambchop #1, but it's hard to say with the hair loss apparently caused by chemo. Just seeing a photo of her smiling touched me, and I decided right then to participate in knitting a blanket for her. And, I did. As asked, I knitted a 5"X5" square in pink yarn that can be sewn together with a plethora of other pink swatches to make a pretty blanket in Kaitlyn's favorite color. It didn't take me long at all, and I used one of my favorite stitch patterns from one of Barbara Walker's books.

Today was the perfect day for this project, I think. I've got the beginnings of a sinus infection that I'm determined to fight off. It's got me a bit cold and shivery, for now, though. Tomorrow, I'll try to block my square and show you what I made (as well as give you more info on Kaitlyn's blanket with links, etc.). For now, I'm just going to wrap myself in the warmth that radiates from knitting something for someone else who needs to be warmed much more than I do.