Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Picture of Efficiency

If you looked up efficiency in the dictionary, you wouldn't normally find a picture of me, nor would you even see my name mentioned. This morning, though, you just might. As planned, I went into a baking frenzy early this morning (around 8 - come on, that's early for me) and just finished putting the last pan in the oven now at noon.

So, what have I made? Actually, the question might be more appropriate as "what have I NOT made?". I started out by using up four over-ripe bananas, which made two loaves of banana bread. Enlisting the help of my strong (and handsome, of course) husband to grate the over-sized zucchini from my sister-in-law (because grating stuff is really hard when you've got my belly), I then made two loaves of zucchini bread. But, wait, that's not all! That was a monstrously huge zucchini, and I had enough left to make not one but two chocolate zucchini cakes. Whew! That's a lot of baking.

But, wait! It's not over yet. Remember I mentioned having bought cream cheese in Germany? You don't think I'd have left that long-awaited cheesecake out of my baking frenzy, do you? No sirree, Bob. So, I threw that in the oven, as well (yummy looking chocolate cookie crust, since we can't get graham crackers here). And, last but not least, since we actually have to eat today, I made some manicotti with fresh homemade pasta and some frozen tomato sauce I had made a few weeks ago.

The only thing missing from all this is the corn bread and the strata I was planning to make as well. I just didn't have enough eggs, but it's not a real problem, since I'm getting pretty hot and tired and it'll soon be lunch time anyway.

By the way, for those interested in what a baking frenzy looks like, I'll try to take pictures (I can tell you now, though, that it involves lots of flour dust and plenty of dirty dishes - most of which I have actually cleaned during the baking process - efficient, I tell you).