Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

One Girly Apron: Check

Yay! I finished my apron, and it's too cute. It is exactly how I had pictured it, but cuter, since I'm a very visual person, and to me there's nothing like seeing the real thing. It's not perfect though. It took me way longer than I had planned to sew it. This is typical of me, and I'm getting used to that. I learn so much each time I sew (mostly that I've still got so much still to learn). I think I do okay on garment construction (most likely thanks to my knitting habit), but my control of the sewing machine leaves a bit to be desired. This is why it takes me so long.

This time I realized that there is quite a bit I need to learn about setting the proper tension on the thing. Problem is, I misplaced the manual long ago (though, it'll probably turn up when we move). Luckily, I've got a nice all-about-sewing kind of book that has great generic instructions about sewing machines. Hopefully, it'll have something to tell me about thread tension and how to set it for each different need. Because, obviously, I need help with that.

I did get the thing put together, though, and I'm very happy with the results, even if I'm sure it'd look much better on someone who doesn't appear to be carrying a watermelon under it. I'll share pictures soon - watermelon and all.

Ooh, and the best thing about all this time spent sewing at the kitchen table is that I was able to appear to be working (because that's what my father-in-law and husband see sewing as), while really I was just playing with my expensive toys. That, and the fact that I was able to get some easy bakind done at the same time. I made two loaves of brown bread and huge pot of Mexican pot beans. For those who've never tried beans this way, it's the best way to do it. Basically, you slow-cook it (like for 5-10 hours, depending on the beans) in a closed pot in the oven. No need to soak overnight, and it's so much better than boiled beans or even the pressure cooker version. If you've got the extra time, it's worth it, since it's really no trouble. You just have to be around the house all day.