Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Monday, April 25, 2005

The Hustle and Bustle of Country Life

So, this evening, I was driving down the narrow, windy, tree-lined road that leads to playgroup (poor me). Ours was the only car in sight, when along came a troop of our favorite little mascot - yep, sheep. Now, normally, this might be annoying to people needing to get somewhere in a hurry, but not us. The kids and I sat for the few minutes the sheep took to cross the road talking about what we were witnessing (a great activity for toddlers). They were freshly sheered with their new Spring do and casually jingled their way across the road, stopping at various spots along the way to taste this weed and that blade of grass. I say jingled, but it may be better to describe the noise of their bells as a gong. Kind of like cow bells. Not all of them have bells, though, so it's not obnoxious. They made a nice music together. Most of the sheep we saw were white, but there were two black ones, one of them a lamb. There was also a goat nibbling on thorny blackberry bushes (just the leaves, since there will be no berries till August - ouch!).

It was one of those moments that you wish you had your digital camera on you. But, with two small kids and the playgroups we frequent, it just isn't wise to carry one on me at all times. I have to say, it's one of the many reasons I love living out here in the middle of nowhere (really not that far out by American standards, but lost by French standards).

Well, I see I've been tagged by Anmiryam for a meme (what that stands for I really don't know, but it's basically a questionnaire to find out info about me - this one is about books). I'll get to that in another post later. I've got to think a bit about my answers.

And, don't forget to check out the little Chicken Naming Contest (No, the winner doesn't have to "Do the funky chicken" - there are actual prizes). Rules are here.