Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Silky Sack (felted)


IMG_1068
Originally uploaded by The Stitchin Sheep.
Well, here it is after a nice hot bubble bath and a massage. Odd how it doesn't seem more relaxed. I know I would be.

As you can see, this yarn (Himalayan Yarns wool/silk) felts up really nicely. It didn't even take a million wash cycles (I did it in the machine). And, I love the little 100% silk accent on the top and with the tassles. These yarns really complement each other well.

With felting, you're never 100% sure of what you'll get in the end, so I'm almost a bit surprised to see that my little design ended up being exactly what I intended after felting. This is probably, in part, due to the fact that I actually had enough yarn after knitting the whole sack to knit a little swatch to wash to see how much it would felt.

As a little side note, I took advantage of this photo to slip in the yarn I dyed with food coloring. The thicker of the two yarns (closer to the bag) is Manos del Uruguay, "Victoria," I think it's called. Then, the other is Patagonian Yarns 100% merino. Both were just natural color before dyeing. It's fun to see how the same dye bath can give different color results on different yarn brands. I threw a tiny bit of cotton yarn in there too, to see what would happen, and pretty much nothing did. Interesting experiment.