Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Diagonal Rib Tank


Diagonal Rib Tank
Originally uploaded by Reder Family.
A rare and beautiful silence has finally fallen upon the house (munchkins are finally sound asleep!), giving me quiet time to finish the front of my tank. So far, so good. You'll notice the slight diagonal bias this ribbing gives the fabric. That'll pretty much work itself out when I sew it all together in the end. When I half try it on, putting it up to my body, it looks pretty good.

I'm a bit irked at myself, though. I sped through the shoulders to be able to weigh it. You see, there's a slight glitch that I've seen coming since about halfway through the front - I won't have enough yarn to finish it. Ugh! Don't you just hate it when that happens? And, La Droguerie (the yarn brand) doesn't even tell you the dye lot, since you buy it weighed out for the exact quantity you need and it comes with no label (my trouble actually stems from this). To make matters worse, I don't even live in the city I bought the yarn in (Lyon).

All is not lost, though, because, it being winter, they're not likely to have sold out the dye lot this was from, and even luckier is that my mother has a business trip bringing her to Europe and will be flying in to Lyon to see us. I'll have to go up there, anyway. I'm not looking forward to the enormous line that will certainly be awaiting me in that shop, but I'll have the wonderful company of my very own mom (whom I have not seen since July). So, we'll put this project on hold for now and start in on something else.

Oh, and major stash enrichment went on today. Yet another reason to look forward to Mom's visit. She doesn't know it yet, but she'll have more yarn in her bags than clothes (I finally got to spend my Christmas money - it'd be stupid to spend dollars in France with how low the dollar is these days, so I had been waiting.) Like any good yarn junkie, I'm smiling from ear to ear.