Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Don't Worry, I Won't Neglect You


Now that I've got my new site, you're probably thinking I will start to neglect you. Not to worry, I'd much rather just neglect the housework, instead. Actually, no, that's the funny thing about the content on my new blog. Since it includes product reviews for ecologically friendly cleaning products and the like, it just might help me keep on top of the household chores. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I actually had fun scouring the bathroom sink, cleaning the oven and getting some burnt-on crud off of a pot. Who knew taking pictures of the process and mentally formulating a blog entry was the key to effective housekeeping? Interesting to note.

So, go check out my first product review. I was actually very surprised by the results, and there's a great frugal tip involved.

Enough about that. I promise I'll try not to talk (too much) about my other blog here. That wouldn't really be fun for people who come for the craft and family talk, would it? Given I've spent way too much time in the past few days playing with the other blog (oops, I'm talking about it again) to get it set up, I haven't done much crafting. I still have to get to the fabric store for the notions needed to finish my current projects, but Muttonchop has been using our sole car for wine deliveries, so I haven't been able to go. Hopefully, I'll have the chance to do it tomorrow while the kids are at school.

I do have some great ideas for bags to sew, though. When we moved, I saved the blue and clear striped plastic shower curtain from the old house. I washed it up nicely and want to make a fun beach bag out of it. I also have the idea in mind that I could put that Provençal button-down shirt to good use. I was pretty sad when I learned that it had a little hole in it right near the pocket. It shows my bra quite nicely, which is, perhaps, not the point in wearing a shirt. Now we see why it was at the thrift shop. At first, I was a bit disappointed, because I had thought it would be a nice change from my usual wardrobe choices. I'm feeling better about it now, though, because it occurred to me that I could make it into a lovely lining for a linen bag. Maybe there would even be enough for a grocery bag. That could be pretty cool - shopping for carrots in style.


And for those of you who sit patiently through all of my craft blabber to see baby pictures, these shots of Lambchop #3 are for you. There are few things in this world cuter than the look of utter concentration on a baby's face when they play with an object. They are so intent on discovery that you can literally see it in their eyes. I love that look, and I wanted to capture it to remember in years to come. Unfortunately, once the camera's red-eye elimination light comes on, we're screwed. She's like a deer in the headlights all of a sudden. All things not related to that little red light cease to exist... until you say her name and smile at her. Then, the spell is momentarily broken as a smile crosses her face. Ahhhh, that's better. I still never got the shot of her concentrating on that stuffed catepillar, though.

Edited to Add: And, for those of you following our sheep sagas around here, I, apparently, am not the only one to be adept at losing the furry, little creatures. They've apparently found a breach in our security system (read: a hole or jumpable area in the fence). I was driving home the other morning and happened upon them running down our dirt road. They seemed to be in a hurry to get to whatever grassy knoll they were intent on reaching. Even the Land Rover didn't scare them. I stopped in front of them, and they seemed content to sneak around the sides. Apparently, if the object does not seem animal, no matter what its size, they're not worried. Though I may not have gotten rid of my baby fat yet, I am no match for a 4x4, but they found me more intimidating. Surely, it wasn't merely because of the tone of voice I used when asking, "Where do you think you're going?" I shewed them back uphill and called in reinforcements (in the form of my retired-shepherd of a father-in-law). That was several days ago, and since then, they have developed a habit of perusing the fence for weak spots they might sneak through. Muttonchop is out there fixing the fence as I type. See how the belief that sheep a stupid is way off base?

Labels: , ,