Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

It's All Good

It's been a really long time since I last posted, and I could give you a really nice post about the several FO's I've got to show you. I haven't gotten around to taking any pictures of them, yet, though, so that isn't going to happen. I have four of them, though. Four hats, to be exact. I just can't seem to be bothered to post about them, though. It could be all the chocolate fudge I've shoveled in is weighing me down. Or, perhaps it's the fact that the older lambchops don't have school right now, and I don't have much time for anything. Or, could it be that we're all down with a little cold, and I can't see straight. Actually, it's most likely the fact that itty-bitty Lambchop #3 has not only a cold but the beginnings of her very first tooth. All the excess mucus and spit has caused her to throw up her milk three times in the last few days and beg to be held 24/7. So, when she lets me put her down, and I'm able to dig through the piles of Christmas dishes and laundry I still haven't gotten to wash (this may be an exaggeration, but then again, it may not), I'll take a few pictures. Until then, I'll tease you with a blurb about my FO's.

First, I made a hat for myself. It's that little cable newsboy cap from Stitch'N'Bitch (Nation?). Cute. And, it was quickly stolen by the biggest of our lambchops. Looks better on her, anyway. Then, I got to work on a slouchy beret for my sister-in-law (a modification of the new free pattern on Wendy's blog). I had to modify it, because I didn't have her yarn. Instead, I had two beautiful balls of Knit Picks Ambrosia (or whichever yarn of theirs is that alpaca cashmere blend). Turned out pretty well. Seeing I was on a roll with hats, I made up a chart for a Superman logo. I had ordered some Cascade 220 from Webs a while back to make a superman hat for Lambchop #2. It turned out pretty well. My brother-in-law (who is in his mid-thirties) saw it and wanted one of his very own. I just happened to have enough of the blue yarn left to grant him that wish. So, since I spent my day holding Lambchop #3 in my lap on the couch, I actually finished another one for him. I had learned from my mistakes on the first one, and the second turned out even better. After washing and blocking it all, I'll try to get a few snap shots of them.

Aside from all the knitting, I haven't done much of anything. Well, there was the huge meal I cooked on Christmas day. Despite a few minor glitches (having to put the turkey back in the oven to cook a little longer, not-quite-perfect-but-still-tasty pie crusts), it all turned out well. What was extra special about it all, though, was that we had the new house finished just enough to be able to open gifts and eat our Christmas meal there. So, even though we couldn't live there yet, we did enjoy a beautiful sunset, gathered around the table we had set up next to the Christmas tree while being warmed by the fire in the wood stove in that room. I'm going to love that house. I can feel it already. I will be so happy in a chair by the fire knitting or spinning while gazing out the window at the vineyards as the sun sets. And, surely, some day, I'll think to take a picture of it all to share with you.