Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Blue Cat Hair


Toasty Hands
Originally uploaded by The Stitchin Sheep.
So, what do you do when you have some leftover blue angora that isn't even enough to make a decent scarf? Why fingerless mitts, of course! I'll admit to never really being a huge fan of this look, but my hands were freezing last night while I knitted. Necessity is the mother of invention, as we all know, so I snatched up the angora and whipped one of these suckers out this afternoon.

And... I must say, I'm converted. These little mitts are wonderful, especially when made in a soft, furry angora yarn. Now, don't be confused, though. I still think this looks hideous, mostly because of the angora and it's furriness, but talk about warm... and soft. I may just wear them for more than knitting. Like blogging or even cooking. Hey, why not? We'll just call the blue mystery ingredient my special spice - okay, on second thought, maybe not so much for cooking.

And, then there's always that little inconvenience of people assuming I've got a blue cat when I go out covered in shedded bits of fluff, but I'm willing to endure that (and actually, come to think of it, this could be a great conversation starter) for the warmth of these babies. I swear, even with my fingers uncovered, the angora kept them warm. Great stuff!

Oh, and a little question for you parents:

Am I the only one tempted to use the kid's Pick Up Sticks (called Mikado here) game for knitting purposes? What would you say those are - about 3mm?