Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Tickled Pink (and Purple)

I think that's what I'll name this yarn. The other option is Hubba Bubba Palace, because the colors remind me of kids' gum (they even smell a bit like gum). Which do you prefer?

Anmiryam asked me if I was happy with the yarn, and if I'd do it again. I answer DEFINITELY to both questions. I was a little surprised by the day-glow quality of the pink, but the two go well together. Before rinsing the yarn with water after the dye job, you think they'll be darker than they end up being. The pink was a cherry red (as the cherry Kool-Aid would indicate, right?) before rinsing.

I purposely made the purple a bit less intense than the pink. I think it would have been a bit too much contrast otherwise. As it is now, the purple tones down that pink a bit. Maybe things could have turned out differently if I had a microwave or was patient enough to wait longer on the sun-tea style dyeing method. I may try "cooking" it in a hot car next time.

All in all, I found this to be a fun experiment, and I may just have myself another knitting-related addiction (so predictable, huh?)

In the picture, you can see a few signs of my amateurish dye job. It's a bit mottled, but I'm thinking when it's knitted up, it won't be that noticeable, and it may even add character to the project. Which project? Well, I believe this one may be destined to become a little shrug or a little mini-sweater (long sleeved, though) for my daughter. She won't need it for a while, but I'm so anxious to see how this stuff knits up that I may end up doing a swatch test tonight after it's fully dried.

I'm giddy here, folks!