Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Drop Spindle Spun Yarn (a.k.a. homemade mop)

Well, here it is, folks. The mop you've all been anxiously waiting to see. I mean, doesn't it really look like something you'd want to clean your kitchen floor with? I think so, and I'm its mommy. So, the kinky, curly-cue one on the right is the first skein I did. The one on the left is my better shot at this new hobbie. I was just starting to get the hang of it on that skein. The little sheep is there to spice up the picture a bit (and it's got a story behind it, too).

The Story Behind the Sheep:
Here in France, January brings bakeries full of King's Cakes. If you live anywhere near New Orleans, you may be familiar with these. Inside these cakes there is a little ceramic trinket. In New Orleans, I believe it's always a baby (not certain on that, though), and the tradition is that the person whose slice of cake contains the little doodad has to buy the next one. Not so around here.

In France, all King's Cakes come with a cardboard crown similar to what I vaguely remember once being offered by Burger King. The recipient of the trinket is also the recipient of the crown. This is much more of an honor than having to buy the next one, I'd say (and, kids fight over the crown, of course). This last cake we had, I won the prize. I was excited to see that, along with the crown, I got a little sheep. Now, is that appropriate, or what? It must be a sign. I just know it. But, a sign of what? Probably that I'm a very baaaaaa baaaad girl, right?