Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Koigu Fruit Loop Sock #1

I didn't blog last night, but I have a really great excuse. I worked hard on my sock. Then, I worked hard on undoing a portion of my sock. Then, today, I, again, worked hard on my sock. I had it pretty much finished last night, but I felt like the toe decreased a bit too quickly. So, I ripped it back to where the decreases began and restarted them. They're better now, and if anything they may not quite decrease enough. The toe ends up being a bit squared off like a tube sock would be (but the heel is shaped, unlike a tube sock). I'm currently wearing my finished sock to see if I want to make any modifications before diving into the second one. No one-sock syndrome here, I believe. After putting this thing on and feeling how soft and warm it is, I'm ready to wear a second one. Can't wait. I'm not so sure I'm really in the mood to knit a second one, but I keep telling myself the second will go a lot faster because I was working on getting the fit right when knitting the first, so there was frogging going on. That shouldn't be too much of a problem on the second one. Should be able to fly through it, right? Hope so.

As soon as I decide whether I'm sticking with this design or not, I'll post a picture of it. The one design detail I'm uncertain of for now is the foot section. Once I finished turning the heel, I opted for ribbing the foot instead of doing some decreases to form the sock to my instep a bit. I don't have extremely sensitive feet, I don' think, so the ribbing may not bug me, but I can feel it when I walk. It's actually not bad, really, because it almost makes for some extra padding. Very cushy. I'm thinking it may seem to cause a slight additional amount of friction for those with sensitive feet, though. I'll have to have my mom try them on to check out that hypothesis. She's got sensitive skin on her feet, I think.

Walking around getting lunch cooked and cleaning up the mess the little one just made, I'm pretty convince I like the feel of this sock, so stayed tuned for a picture a little later.