Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Don't Arrest Me!

Okay, so if you were arrested at this very moment, and asked to empty your pockets, what would Officer Niceguy see? In my case it would be two swatches - one in each pocket. Odd, yes, but, at least I'm wearing clean undies in case of a strip search. On a tip from my personal knitting guru, Louise, I am wearing these swatches around for a couple of days to test them for pilling. I've heard after purchasing (ain't that always how it is) that La Droguerie's "surnaturel" yarn pills like crazy. I've bought some for use in a sweater I have yet to start. It's not going to be on large portions of the sweater, so maybe it won't cause too much trouble, but I'm testing the swatch to see. Great tip, anway, so I thought I'd share.

I said before that my first attempt at spinning was none too pretty, but I've given it another go, and the results were much improved. I've now got two, albeit small, skeins. They're currently drying in the shower. I'll take a shot of the two of them side-by-side to illustrate the learning process a bit later. There was actually an enormous difference in the two before, but I replyed the first, and it looks much better. It was too loosely plyed the first time. They are far from professional looking, but I'm learning and enjoying doing it.

My last bit of news for now is that I've been inspired by a few other knit bloggers (I don't remember which, at the moment) to recycle an old sweater that I never wear. It's store-bought, and really not too bad looking. The only problem is that it was attacked by moths at some point in its existence, as well as not being particularly flattering to my figure (oh, and there's a huge itch issue with the turtleneck collar). So, when I get up the guts to frog this sucker, I'll let you know. I find it hard to just take a pair of scissors to an expensive sweater like that. I rarely wear it anyway, so I may as well attempt a revamping. There will, of course, be some before and after pictures.