Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Back In the Saddle

After a couple of weeks of not doing any crafting at all, last night I got in the mood. So, I pushed myself away from the computer and pulled a chair up in front of the sewing machine instead. A while back, I bought a vintage sewing pattern on ebay. It just happened to be in my size (well, my bust size, anyway), and I kind of like the style of the dress. I wasn't really sure what fabric I should use, but I had this fun sheet I had paid 33 cents for at the local thrift shop. I figured at that price, I couldn't really got wrong, so I tested the pattern out on it. I'm really pleased with the results. I have to say that this fabric isn't exactly the style I would usually be seen wearing, but I like the whimsical nature of the flowers and the bright color (and who says I ever had any sense of style in the first place?). It'll be great for summer, I think, and it fits perfectly, as well (after some alterations to the pattern, because it would appear that I don't have the average proportions of women of the 1940's).

I still need to hem it and install the zipper, but it's finished otherwise. I just don't have a zipper, so I can't get it done till the stores open tomorrow (it's moments like these that I'd give almost anything to be in the US on a Sunday afternoon).

And, just for good measure, I'll throw in a couple of kid pictures. Daddy put the baby on the floor near the pots and pans yesterday, which she found to be the perfect playground. Lambchop #2 liked her idea and started to play kitchen with her.

This is what I get for not installing a cabinet yet. There are open shelves for now, and some day, I'll get around to sewing the curtains I have planned, but for now, this certainly allows easy access to the kitchen "toys".


It doesn't look like she'll complain about the current set-up anytime soon.