Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Such A Housewife

Well, it's official. I'm a true housewife. There's no beating around the bush about it now. I may not be good at what I do, but that's my life. And, because I always strive to improve where I fail, today I bought how-to books on cleaning. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, since most knitters are currently flipping through the pages of Mason-Dixon Knitting (something that's on the list, but I just couldn't justify now). I didn't even set out to do it, I swear.

What I got on the internet to do was look for a recipe for homemade laundry detergent (since I pay an arm and a leg for an ecofriendly one at the organic store, and I knew I could make my own for cheaper). I found one, and along beside it, I saw an add for a book by "The Queen of Clean". She's supposedly very famous on the day-time talkshow circuit, but I had never heard of her. What interests me is cheap, easier and less toxicways to get my house clean (I've recently learned of some of the wonders of vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda), so I decided to take a look at her numerous books on amazon. As it turns out, four of them interested me enough to purchase them. Then, I bought a couple of books about the uses of vinegar and the uses of baking soda. And, for good measure I threw in a parenting book about sibling rivalry. No matter how pathetic this selection may sound, it should pretty much cover most of the currently uncovered bases around here. I don't know if any of these books will truly make me a better housewife or mother, but I do know one thing: this most recent purchase certainly confirms that I am 100% a housewife now.