Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Somebody, Please Stop Me... Pleeeeease

I've got cravings left and right here. So far in this pregnancy, I've had healthy ones, like wanting fresh veggies and things of that sort. A good, crisp salad was enough before, but now we're wanting powdered donuts and other junk food items of my youth. I've added pepperoni pizza to the list. This is a bad one, since I can't even come close to fulfilling it without stepping outside the French border. I'm not saying you can't get them anywhere in Europe. Who knows? Maybe you can, but you can't get them here in France. First of all, they rarely put mozzarella cheese on pizza here. They use emmenthaler (a type of Swiss cheese, in case you don't know of it) instead. Totally changes the flavor of a pizza. It's not bad, but it doesn't taste like what I know as pizza. Then, there's the fact that pepperoni doesn't even seem to exist here. I have never seen it in a store, and I've never seen it on a pizza menu anywhere in this country. And, of course, it's my favorite.

So, what would I do if I were able to spend just 24 hours in the US tomorrow? Most likely, I'd wake up late (jet lag, you know), have some powdered donuts with creamy chocolate milk to accompany them. For lunch, I'd want a whole pepperoni pizza to myself. For dessert I'd probably throw in some more of those donuts. For my afternoon snack (because a pregnant lady's got needs), I'd have a nice, thick chocolate malt (malted milk powder being another non-existent item here in France). Then, for dinner, I'm sure I'd have some high blood pressure, a few vericose veins for my swollen feet, all with a side of gestational diabetes. Because this is what would happen to me if I were living in the US while pregnant. Well, maybe not, because I somehow was able to control myself when pregnant with my first (I spent the first 7 months of my pregnancy in the US), but I can't for the life of me figure out how I did it.

Well, for starters, I wasn't far from home, so any cravings were most likely not related to homesickness. Then, I often crave comfort foods (even if they're not so great for me) during and after an illness. Since I'm getting near the end of this flu, that's probably the reason for all these cravings. Surely when I'm all healthy again, they'll go away. Right? Please tell me that's right!!! On the bright side, though, if this trend continues, I may be able to compete for the World's Fattest Lady Contest next year. Is there any money in that?