Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

What Do You Mean, No Eggs!?!

I've got a craving! We can't be out of eggs! It's bad enough that the craving I've got is for something sweet you can't buy here, but that can be found all over the place in the US. I figure I'll try to concoct my own, but I need eggs. And, do we have any? Noooooo.

What's this craving? I'm sure you're wondering. It's for those little mini powdered donuts. Yeah. I know. Really high class food, here. There's no accounting for the taste of a pregnant woman, you know.

Anyway, so I've found myself some suitable recipes to play with, and they all call for eggs. Makes sense, really, but I don't have any after the cornbread I made this afternoon for the kids. So, I've started a batch of bagels instead. Yeah. I know what you're thinking: What's she going to do, dip them in powdered sugar? Mmmm. Nope. Think I'll pass on that option, but I'm going with the idea that they're both round with holes in them. Could that be enough to trick my stomach? Probably not, but what can you do? The bagels sound good, anyway. I've never made cinnamon raisin bagels, because my husband isn't a big fan of cinnamon (typical of people who are from Southern France). I've gradually gotten him used to it. And, today, I'm just making something I absolutely love and always have. I know him. He'll complain, but he'll eat them anyway, because they're there. If I'm really lucky, though, he won't touch many and that'll leave more for little ole me.

And, I'll leave you withe a recipe for the pizza-like dish we're having for dinner tonight. Very tasty, and there's not much cheese, so it's pretty good for you.

Ingredients:
Your favorite pizza dough
1 large onion
ground beef or ground sausage (about enough for one hamburger is fine), browned and crumbly
3-4 tbsp grated swiss cheese

Caramelize the onions by doing the following:
Slice a large onion in half, and then thinly slice it.
Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and add onions when oil is hot.
Sautee onions till they start to brown. Add just enough water to be able to scrape the brownness from the bottom of the pan. Allow the onions to continue to sautee. Repeat the watering process a few more times at 5 minute intervals (approx). Onions are done when they are a nice darkish brown but they shouldn't be dried and crispy (that's what the water does for you).

Roll out your pizza dough. Sprinkle the ground meat evenly over it. Do the same with the caramelized onions. Then, sprinkle cheese over it (there shouldn't be so much cheese that you can't see the other ingredients. The swiss cheese has a stronger flavor than mozzarella, so not much is necessary for a nice flavor. Bake in very hot oven till lightly browne on top.

You can also make this without the meat. It's delicious that way, as well.

Serve with a salad. Yum.