Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Knitting Some Mittens

Well, I'm such an impatient person that I couldn't wait to find the set of five double-pointed needles I thought I needed to make some mittens. Instead, I started playing around with a set of four I had in a slightly smaller gauge. Turns out they work out okay. When I got to the point where I would need a fifth needle, I just put some stitches on a holder. Works out okay, and I've got one mitten mostly finished now. I'm happy with the way they're coming along since I am not using a pattern and have never made mittens or gloves before. I rather enjoy fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants knitting. I hate counting stitches and rows, so it's nice not to use a pattern. I'll attempt to get a picture of a finished mitten up soon, as well as the finished poncho.