Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Friday, December 17, 2004

More fun goodies!

Hello, my name is Krista, and I am a yarnaholic. Of course, many of us knitters are. I've got plenty of yarns around here to play with. Many are leftovers my mother-in-law passed me, but since I didn't pick them out, it's just not the same. Or, at least, they don't inspire me. So, here's how we know I'm a yarnaholic: I took the circular needle back to the store, and I didn't even bend and get any of the double-pointed ones they would have had. I don't like their brand of needles, and the metal makes my tricky arthritic finger ache. But, before you go getting all proud of my resolve not to purchase anything in exchange for the returned needle, I have to own up to being weak.

First, I had to use up the seven bucks the needle cost me in a store voucher. That wasn't too hard. I got a couple balls of yarn for that. One is a cute little furry creme-colored yarn to make mitten cuffs from. Then, I got a sport weight aqua wool/acrylic blend to match the cuff yarn for some other mittens. Hey, now all I need is to find some double-pointed needles, and I'm good to go!

Then, of course, while I was in the store, I had to take a little gander. I know, I know. I was just there the other night. And, I'll even admit that nothing had changed. So, I ended up falling in love with almost the only yarn in the whole shop that is 100% wool (and, wouldn't you know, it's even discontinued). The fact that it was discontinued allowed me to convince the lady to at least give me a little discount. Lucky me, I didn't have to pay the sales tax! Better than nothing, I guess. So, my newest acquisition is a periwinkle blue yarn that goes from very chunky to very thin and knits up nicely on 12.75 mm needles (US size 17) - fast! I've done some calculations, and hopefully, if my math is correct (not my strong suit), I'll be able to make a little poncho for my 3 1/2-year-old daughter.

So, wish me luck, since this poncho is entirely my own design. We may be doing lots of frogging here pretty soon!

And, incidentally, I may be a yarnaholic, but I have no intentions of getting help. I'll justify all of my recent purchases by saying that it has at least been 6 months since my last yarn purchases.