Life's Little Details: Knitting, Sewing, Green Living, Frugal Living and Cooking In A Little Corner of Southern French Countryside.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Pretty in You-Guessed-It

I'm currently working on three different knitting projects. Yes, I'm one of THOSE knitters - you know the kind, always starting another project before finishing the last. I guess I tend to work on one big project and a couple of smaller ones all at once. When I feel like I'm not accomplishing much in my life, I leave the big one aside for a quick jobbie that makes me feel like a success. For the moment, the big job is a sweater for my husband, who is certainly no munchkin. I'm using a beautiful navy blue alpaca yarn made by Classic Elite (my only complain is that it sheds). I bought it several years ago while on a little trip to New Orleans with my family. (Incidentally, If you get the chance to stop by the little shop called the Quarter Stitch, it's worth a little gander. They have some fun stuff in there, and if you end up coming away with your hands full, they do a superb job packaging up your purchase). It took me a couple of years to get up the courage to start in on that sweater. Unfortunately I'm not a speed-knitter, so, I work a while on it and then work on something else till the mood strikes me again to dive back into the sweater. I've so far gotten the back and part of the front knitted.

The side projects include the alien scarf in the Stitch 'N Bitch book and a little pink scarf I'm doodling (I know you only usually doodle with paper and pen, but I thought doodling was a suitable word to describe just playing with some yarn and needles to see what happens). So far so good. I kind of like it. In the end, it should be a Christmas gift for my niece or my daughter. For now, it's just a fun way to use up some leftover yarn I had around.

So, here's a picture of the scarf I'm thinking of naming Pretty in You-Guessed-It. Not all that original maybe, but it fits, I think.

I think I'll actually have plenty of these yarns left over to try some other fun kid's scarf (My mother-in-law gave me a massive leftover ball of pink yarn!). I'm thinking some sort of wavy pattern....